I'm running logstash on a windows server, and using previous versions, had been able to run the agent and web command line strings, as well as use the embedded elasticsearch. I just installed 1.4.0, and when running logstash.bat agent -f config.conf web, problems arise. Logstash does not appear to start, although I can reach the kibana web interface, it tells me that elasticsearch is not available. Even with the --debug flag, I get no output on the command line whatsoever. If I remove web from the command line, logstash fires right up, along with the embedded elasticsearch.
I have tested with a very basic conf file (just stdin for input, and output elasticsearch embedded => true), and still no go.